"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Sunday, April 11, 2021

***Teaching Christ to Others*

         The Church has failed to teach our children. Parents should take on the responsibility of providing religious educating to their own children if they are able to. In talking to both of my sons, I realize that I had made the mistake of believing that they would learn all they needed to know by attending CCD classes at church. Today my older son told me that he was always told to do this or that, but was never given the reason, and that turned him off. As for my second son who's quite a bit younger, I recently found the book that was used when he was being prepared for receiving First Communion. I was appalled that not one word was said about the Real Presence of the Lord in the Holy Eucharist. No wonder a large percentage of the young today do not believe that the consecrated bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord anymore. This has to be an epic failure. About one confirmation class I was involved in at one church, the kids were taught how to behave and act before the bishop when he showed up, not a word about expecting the Holy Spirit to touch you when you're being confirmed. Once at yet another church I hinted that I could share with the kids that we can experience God with a CCD teacher, she showed total disinterest. So you have people who do not know God well teaching about God. As a result, you don't get drawn any closer to him. God is not to be taught like any other secular subject and church committee meetings are not to be run like business meetings at some company. Getting to know Christ first must be our No. 1 priority.  

No comments:

Post a Comment