"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Friday, January 28, 2011

On Praying for Spiritual Growth

        We normally ask for the many spiritual qualities, such as faith, perseverance, patience, etc., we think we need.  This approach is relatively self-centered ~ we focus upon what we think we lack ~ and involves more of a struggle on our part.
        I believe that a superior approach is to rest in God with abandonment. We lie open before him, letting him see what we need and fill us.  The focus is mainly on him and not us.  Again, save our energy and tap God's power, for he is infinitely greater and wiser.    

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe it's an either/or type of thing, rather, I think it's a both/and type of thing. I believe God does want us to bring our needs to Him for a couple of reasons. One, it's not that He doesn't know what we need, but when we ask Him for our needs we remind ourselves of how reliant upon Him that are. Two, I have read that it is actually part of God's plan that He will grant certain things in our lives when we ask for them. He has set it up that way.

    Anyway, I love the blog and subscribe to it. Keep up the good work. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it very much. God bless you too.

    ReplyDelete