"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Friday, March 18, 2011

Ousting Prejudice

        The Lord has shown me that I must not harbor prejudices within my heart.  If John the Baptist were to appear today, how would I view him?  Would I conclude that he is probably mad?  When Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus, son of Joseph, from Nazareth."  Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" That was prejudice, all right.  But there are often small preconceived notions quite subtle and not readily detectable.  For example, I felt less attracted to a saint solely because the name didn't sound as attractive as the names of some other saints (thank God I finally realized).  I am certain that many do not come to the Lord or his Church because they are prejudiced or have wrongly conceived notions.  We must always search the heart and ask the Lord to remove all prejudices, large or minute, so that we may discern clearly and do his will freely without impediment.     

No comments:

Post a Comment