"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Friday, March 4, 2011

How to Ask in Prayer

        In today's Gospel reading from Mark 11, Jesus counseled "all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours."  Again, faith is requisite. 
        I started thinking: how shall we ask in prayer?  If I ask to win the lottery and believe that I will win, will it happen?  Then I realize that whatever we ask must glorify God.  Therefore, ask the Holy Spirit to teach us how to ask before asking.  Basically, we must always ask out of love for God.  We ask not to have our way but to have God's will be done.  Looking at it this way, I see that asking is also a form of listening to God, a way of discerning his will to which we must conform.

No comments:

Post a Comment