"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Monday, August 12, 2019

***Failings of the Church

      I came across this video by Brian Holdsworth today and his message resonates with me. If it's true that only 1/3 of Catholics believes in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist, then the Church has failed miserably in teaching her members. This belief in the Real Presence is at the core of being Catholic. If a Catholic does not hold this belief, I don't think he should consider himself to be a Catholic. By the way, when all the submarine Catholics show up only at Easter and Christmas Masses, why don't the individual churches make it clear that Christ is truly present in the Holy Eucharist and that one should not receive the sacrament if he has not been attending Mass regularly?
     Brian also mentions the lack of reverence at most Masses and I agree with him too. We should worship the Lord as if we were at the Last Supper. Anything that distracts us from focusing on the Lord is out of order. I personally freak out a little bit when I receive the Holy Eucharist and see fingernails painted black or dark red holding forth the consecrated white host for me to receive. That's why I always chose to receive the Lord from the priest if possible. Also, music that sounds more like pop music is another distraction. I still remember the time a high school student was allowed to play the drum with the band and I got jumpy when I knew that a predictable big drumbeat was coming. There are many other things I can touch on. Anyway, believing in the Eucharist and showing proper reverence at Mass are of primary importance in making you a true Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment