"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Saturday, May 26, 2012

No Minding Others

        I went to morning Mass and saw the cars of those who had already arrived in the parking lot. By now, I pretty much know the owners by their car. No soon had the images of some of the owners floated into my mind than minor facts associated with them surfaced too. For example, one person appeared overweight; another didn't seem to be too friendly, etc. Then I realized that basically, I mind these things, even if slightly, and the danger is that all these opinions and feelings can bring me closer to judging people. 
        At Mass, the Gospel confirmed my thoughts. The reading came from John 21. After Jesus signified to Peter the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God, Peter asked Jesus what would happen to John, the disciple whom Jesus loved. Jesus answered, "What if I want him to remain until I come? What concern is it of yours? You follow me." Indeed, our job is to follow the Lord and let all our thoughts, words, and deeds flow from that. Certainly, minding the trivial facts about others should not be of our concern. When we see someone, we see only the Lord in that person ~ here is a great aid to preserving inner peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment