"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Thursday, February 29, 2024

*****No Goodbye to Jesus*****

        My wife was going on a trip and left the house around 3:30 a.m. this morning. She didn't want to wake me up early and left me asleep. Then I heard a "goodbye" and the closing of the front door. I got up, looked out of the window quickly, and saw the car her friend was picking her up with speeding away down the road next to the house. Someone I have loved for being with me for over six decades was gone! I knew she'd be back after two weeks; nevertheless, I felt a sudden loss. And it got me thinking.
         We'll all be gone one day to say goodbye to this world forever, so how will you handle that? Will you look forward to it with great anticipation or fear entering the unknown or are sorry that you have to say goodbye to everyone and all your possessions? This is something we need to think about before we die if we are to be realistic about it. By the way, Jesus demands that to be his disciple, one must be willing to give up everything, follow him, and never look back. Now I see clearly that this is the way to true freedom.
        As for myself, knowing that I already belong to Christ, going to him will be my greatest joy and consolation. I have no problem leaving all my things behind, including those I have really enjoyed, for I'll gain in heaven infinitely better and everlasting treasures! The only sorrow I'll be feeling is leaving those souls who haven't loved Christ yet and mighty not reach heaven, for any separation will be eternal. (It so happened that the Gospel reading at Mass this morning was on the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. As you know, Lazarus died and was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham, while the rich man also died and went to the netherworld where he suffered torment. When he asked for help from Abraham, he was told that there was a great chasm established between his side and Lazarus' to prevent anyone from crossing.)
       Everything on earth passes away. But if you have Christ the Lord, he'll be with you forever and you'll never need to say goodbye to him ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment