"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Sunday, July 17, 2022

***Purgatory***

        I bought three good books recently and started reading them, but I stopped reading two of them after finding them not that interesting nor inspiring. Last night I picked up the last book, and after reading just ten pages, I knew I was to finish this 340-age book. It's entitled "Get Us Out of Here!!" about Maria Simma (1915-2004). She was a humble Austrian woman dedicated to helping souls in purgatory. Nicky Eltz, the author of the book visited her more than 30 times over five year. The book contains all the recorded answers to questions Nicky asked of her. Over the many decades, numerous souls from purgatory had visited Maria for help, so she probably knows more about purgatory than anybody else. 
        Before I share a few things I've learned from those ten pages I read, let me say that many non-Catholic Christians do not believe that purgatory exists. That's OK. I am merely sharing them with no intention of starting a debate. I have already posted why existence of purgatory makes sense on this blog. If you disagree, reading this book may very well change your mind.
        (1)  One actual case shows that one woman who refused to forgive another woman who wanted peace between them earned her the deepest level of purgatory. (2) God does not sent the souls to purgatory. The souls themselves recognize that they are not yet pure and need to be cleansed before joining God. (3) There are many different levels of sufferings in purgatory. In the lowest levels, Satans can still attack souls, and fire that can consume the entire body exists. The souls in the deepest third of purgatory must first suffer away the sins that they committed before our prayers, Masses and good deeds can do them any good. (4) The sufferings of purgatory are greater than those we suffer here on earth. Our sufferings here, despite being less severe, are worth so much more to erase sins than in purgatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment