"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

***Saving the Soul*

        To save your soul, you need Christ, of course. Then you must believe that he is the Savior. Others can pray for you to help you make it happen. Of these three parties, God is already on your side and others can help, but you are the main one responsible for the salvation of your own soul. These thoughts came to me because someone I know is dying right now. He is a good friend of my oldest son; a very nice person. I knew him too. [My phone just rang; it was my son informing me that he just passed away.] 
        Let me tell you a little bit about this friend. He was in the 70s. He came from an old Italian family well-known locally. He left the Church a long time ago. Some years back, I tried to get him back into the Church, but his response was that he wasn't ready yet, as there were still so many things in the world to take care of. That was a typical excuse I'd heard from many others. Then he started losing his memory, no longer recognizing everyone. His health deteriorated and entered a hospital. I hoped to go see him, but with the coronavirus lockdown, it wasn't possible. I texted his daughter a prayer for her to read to her father, basically telling God that he's sorry fo his sins and asking the Lord now to forgive him. Then he came home, for the hospital couldn't do much for him anymore. I went along with my son to see him twice. I prayed aloud, hoping that he would hear me. The second time, his eyes opened slightly and with his mouth open, his chin started to move up and down as if he were praying. That was a good sign to me. I called my parish priest about giving him extreme unction. After obtaining permission from the daughter, Fr. P went to him the day before yesterday and administered the sacrament. Today, he is gone. I pray that he's with the Lord now. Happy and wise is the one who gives his soul to God before he goes to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment