"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Saturday, March 16, 2019

***Ego, Our Worst Enemy

        The Lord made me see that ego is what keeps us from obeying him. It follows that ego is what prompts us to sin. Take a man who merely fantasizes and entertains impure thoughts – it's also the ego seeking self-gratification. The presence of ego shows the absence of humility. It is humility that frees us and ego that enslaves us. The path to God and heaven is clear. Seek union with God to rid yourself of ego to be perfect. 

2 comments:

  1. I almost wonder if ego isn't a modern, psychology-term for original sin. The closer we draw near to God, the closer we draw near to others, the more we realie that we need to "get over ourselves" (or our egos). Babies are full of ego (for them it's a survival mechanism), but by the time we're rational . . . ego really holds us back from living the life God intended for us. Is it crazy to say that ego may be original sin? I was always offended by the term or original sin until I started to think of it as ego, then it made a LOT of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw your comment until today, as I didn't get an email notice this time. I think you are right. I think ego is at least part of the original sin. We can get over it by starving it for God's sake!

    ReplyDelete