"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Friday, January 1, 2016

A Hindu Lesson

        On this New Year's Day, the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, I attended the noon Mass at a local church just a block away. Since I still had not completely gotten over my cold yet, after I got back, I continued to rest in bed. In checking out BBC News on my laptop, I came across this travel article "India's Chaotic Lesson in Letting Go" by Eric Weiner. The author learned to live with no expectations in India to avoid being disappointed or feeling frustrated, as he realized that India was not going to bend to him. From Bagavad Gita, the Hindu holy text, he quotes what Lord Krishna says to Arjun, in effect: Give 100% effort to the task at hand but have precisely 0% invested in the outcome. The Christian who wants to trust in God fully can surely adopt this advice in abandoning himself to God. [You can read Weiner's interesting story here: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20150901-indias-chaotic-lesson-in-letting-go.]

No comments:

Post a Comment