"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Thursday, June 4, 2015

How Faith Comes About

        When I was away, I recorded the The Journey Home program on EWTN. Today I watched Holly Ordway, author, professor, and former atheist, sharing her story. She mentioned that when she was an atheist, she thought faith in God was something believers force upon themselves. This made me review how my faith came about. After I was convinced that Jesus was God who came into the world to die to save us, I accepted him as my Lord and Savior (the Protestant approach). The decision was an intellectual one. If faith was present, I didn't feel it. I prayed for my faith to grow, but never at any time did I force myself to believe harder. I don't think that's even possible, since faith is a gift from God and only he can increase it. Over the years, faith started to grow almost imperceptibly, as I desired to know God more. The great spurt came during my involvement in the Catholic Charismatic Movement, when the Holy Spirit took over, stirring my heart. When I finally started seeking union with God, I entered a new phase in which God accomplishes all things, faith included, through me and for me.
       
        Just in case you are interested in hearing Holly's story, I am posting her video here:

No comments:

Post a Comment