"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Sunday, December 30, 2012

On Using Our Talents

        This is something I have posted about, so here's taking another look at it. I was a pretty good photographer with a unique, personal vision. I reached the point that you could pretty much tell that it was my work when you see it. In those days I spent a lot of time and energy pursuing photography. Like most other artists, I justify what I was doing by telling myself that I was just using my God-given talent. Of course, the motives to become well-known and to make some money were there too. Was I justified?
        This is how I see it in general today: 
        (1) If what I do helps to bring others closer to God in some way, then I am doing the right thing.  
       (2) If not, then no matter how talented I am, what I do is basically self-centered or at most neutral. [If I were still doing photography today, I would do it with detachedness so that it never gets in the way of serving God first.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment