"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Monday, August 1, 2011

We Own Nothing

        Today is the Memorial of St. Alphonsus Liguori.  The Communion verse, John 15.16, reads: "You have not chosen me; I have chosen you.  Go and bear fruit that will last."
        It got me thinking.  Jesus was actually telling us that God initiates the calling and we merely respond.  God is the source of all graces and we are the receptacles.  We really have nothing that's ours to give.  To start out, God made the whole of each of us.  We came into this world empty-handed.  If I consider anything that's already here mine, I would be like a robber taking what really doesn't belong to him.  This awareness helps me to remain humble and be detached from all things.  We are nothing and we cannot truly own anything ~ we can only belong (to God preferably).  Our duty is to follow God always.           

No comments:

Post a Comment