"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

God Is Always Fair

        In today's reading from Matthew 20, Jesus told the parable about the landowner who paid all workers in his vineyard the same wage at the end of the day whether they had started at the beginning, later, or in the last hour.  This seemed unfair and the workers hired earlier grumbled.  The owner responded, "My friend, I am not cheating you.  Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?  Take what is yours and go.  What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?  Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?  Are you envious because I am generous?"
        The lessons for us are: (1) God has the right to do what he pleases, (2) He will never shortchange us, (3) How others are rewarded by him is not our business, and (4) We are to be content with what he gives us (if God is going to grant us eternal life, we should be happy even if we are the last ones to get into heaven). 

No comments:

Post a Comment