"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

**God Is Always Fair

         In today's Gospel reading from Matthew 20, Jesus explained what the Kingdom of heaven was like to his disciples by telling them the parable of the workers in the vineyard. A landowner hired various laborers for his vineyard throughout the day. In the evening, the owner started to pay all the laborers. When they all received the same wage, those who were hired early grumbled against the owner that those who were hired late and worked less hours received the same pay. He said to one of them in reply, "My friend, I am not cheating you. Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Take what is yours and go. What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous? Thus the last will be first, and the first will be last."
              To see the point more clearly, imagine that you work hard for the the Lord all your life and get to heaven. Then you meet someone there who had been bad all his life, but was saved because he repented just before he died. Would you feel upset? I don't think so, for all is fair and square. In fact, you'll probably feel good that you have served the Lord well. Besides, when you are so happy and content in heaven, you wouldn't know how to grumble against God anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment