"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Thursday, April 18, 2019

**Best Way to Pray*

        Most Catholics are not used to praying spontaneously. They normally read or recite prayers already formed or learned, and there is a plethora of them for practically every occasion and every need. Since I was a convert from Protestantism and also involved with the Catholic Charismatic Renewal movement at one time, I feel a lot freer praying via my own words. I don't like to read others' prayers because (1) they are not my thoughts and may not impact me much, (2) they are often wordy and too general, while I prefer to be more specific and to the point, (3) sometimes when I read one, I have to figure out what is being said, making it impossible to focus upon the Lord at the same time. I believe God loves to hear what comes straight from our hearts the most and it doesn't even have to be said in words. If you only want to recite one prayer, it would be the Lord's Prayer, for it is fundamental and all-encompassing. Don't get me wrong – all other prayers are good. But when we ask God for this and for that, soon we lose track of what we ask for. Here is what I feel to be the simple, proper, and most expedient way to pray. You go to the Lord and open yourself to him, and he will see everything in your heart . . . all your needs spiritual or otherwise. Let him then transform you to make you holy. In short, seek to attain union with God is the best way to pray and to fulfill your spiritual aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment