"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Thursday, September 3, 2015

How the Lord Affects Us

        Today is the Memorial of St. Gregory the Great. In the Gospel reading from Luke 5, Simon and his partners in their boats had worked hard all night and caught nothing, but Jesus with them asked Simon to go lower their nets in deep water and they caught such a  great number of fish that their nets were tearing. Astonishment seized all and Simon fell at the knees of Jesus and said, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man." After seeing the wonder of Jesus, he was awed and became humble. This is how the Lord affects us. Today the wonder I experienced was again how Jesus instituted the Eucharist. Even though I did not see anything like fish being pulled out of water, I knew from the Lord's words that the bread and wine offered became his body and blood, and whoever receives them will have eternal life. I was equally awed and humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment