"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Friday, July 13, 2012

Be Surprised or Be Disappointed

        I mentioned that I was into photography in the past. Recently, I got invited to participate in a coming group show. Although I am not active nowadays anymore, I did conceived of a couple of images ~ an abstract piece which I may entitle "Heaven" and a moonlight scene still to be worked on. So I saw the invitation as an invitation for me to bring these two images into reality. Then the mind quickly projected ahead and started thinking about sending out invitations, friends showing up at the opening...I cut it off right there. I know that if we expect too much, we're likely to be disappointed ~ the fact here is that some of my friends don't even understand art much and some may even dislike what they see. (A slight digression. One famous pianist gave a recital and really didn't play that well. After the recital is over, his friend, another pianist, went backstage to "congratulate" him and said, "You did it again!") So it's better to not expect anything and be surprised later. What Jesus says in Luke 14.10 comes to mind: "When you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, 'My friend, move up to higher position.' Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table." The lesson again to me is: Do not project ahead but live in the present moment, then you will not be disappointed and can only be surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment