"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

I Finally Understood

        Yesterday I talked about the world appearing unreal to me because I had changed.  Now I remember the first time I read about Mother Teresa in the newspaper decades ago.  My first reaction was that it was unbelievable that someone would give up the pleasures of the world and go serve the poor and the dying in India ~ this was being extreme.  The news in a way "shocked" my conscience and I eagerly shared it with others.  I admit that deep down that I felt a great respect for her.  Also, I used to think that monks who live in secluded monasteries were not being productive, as they did not do anything constructive to benefit the society.  I now know better.  Mother Teresa was doing the most noble thing ~ loving God by serving others as Jesus had commanded.  And the monks prayed and strove to be holy ~ practicing their faith and doing what most pleased God.  I am truly thankful that by the grace of God, I had come a long way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment