"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

***Obedience over Perfection***

        After returning home yesterday, I resumed my morning walk today. The Lord gave me these thoughts. We are imperfect. We can submit ourselves completely to the Lord and still fall short. For example, as I was walking, I thought of a friend who was recovering from an ailment when I went on my trip 12 days ago—I hoped that he's completely well now. I must drop him an email to find out. At the same time, the thought that he would probably appreciate my concern upon receiving my email popped up briefly in the back of my head. I knew that if I were truly concerned about someone, I would not be concerned about whether I was appreciated or not. Here's the ego making an ugly appearance. But the Lord knows; he continues to remain gracious to me as long as my intention is good. This is how things go: we try to serve the Lord perfectly, we fall short, and the Lord continues forgiving and assisting us . . . till we die, go to him, and become truly perfect. For the time being, how perfect we are matters less than how obedient we are to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment