"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Most Understanding Lord

        Since Jesus totally understands our hearts, he is the only one qualified to judge us. He does not judge us based upon what we do, but upon our motivation, our intention. Once our wife meant to stop at a traffic stop sign, but since there's an obstacle blocking her view on the right, before she came to a complete stop, she decided to coast forward a little bit to get a clear view and then stop. It so happened that a cop parked across the street saw all this. He construed that she did not intend to stop the first time and stopped only after she saw him, so he ticketed her with a traffic fine. Here is a case of not understanding the intention and rushing to the wrong conclusion. Once I actually forgot about the time of Sunday Mass and missed it. This was not good, but I also knew that the Lord completely understood that I did not do it on purpose and so would not judge against me. More recently, in drinking the chalice at Mass with others waiting behind me, I did not take the time to handle the deep cup with enough care so that as a result, some consecrated wine dripped to the floor. I felt so terrible that I asked the Lord to punish me in whatever way he wished. Then I realized that he knew that I would never do such a thing intentionally and that he respected my conscience and would forgive my involuntary carelessness. So what seemed horrible was in a way the very opposite of hypocrisy, which is choosing to look good deliberately before others. I rejoice that we have such an understanding Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment