"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Saturday, August 29, 2015

More Lessons Learned

        Today is Memorial of the Passion of St. John the Baptist. The Gospel reading from Mark 6 tells that after Herod had John the Baptist arrested and bound in prison on account of Herodias, he still feared John, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man, and even liked to listen to him speak. At this point, it looked as if John was not in any danger. Then Herodias, who harbored a grudge against John, had an opportunity (with her daughter' help) to get John beheaded. This was certainly a turn of events, although now we see that it was all in God's plan. This made me see that life is unpredictable. Take driving the car. I dare say that every driver gets into an accident at least once in his or her life. The last time my small truck was totaled, it was because someone who had lost his way abruptly switched from the far right lane to the far left one across my path. And I remember one early, dark morning as I was making a left turn, I was almost hit by a car I didn't see because its headlights were not turned on. I have now learned to drive with vigilance, patience, and even humility. The lessons apply to living the spiritual life as well : We are to be vigilant and humble, and rely upon God.    

No comments:

Post a Comment