"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Monday, March 16, 2015

Your Enemy Is Your Brother

         The Parable of the Lost (Prodigal) Son (Luke 15.11-32) is teaching me to see how we are to love our enemies. In case you are unfamiliar with the story, here's a quick going-over. A father has two sons. The younger one, the lost one, took all the money, left home and squandered it all. He is left with no hope but to return to his father to admit his wrongdoing and beg for mercy. The father was elated that his son has returned and celebrates the occasion with him. The older son finds out and is angry that he's been faithful to the father all along, but never been treated like this by him. The father says to him, "My son, you are with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found."
        Since we are all children of God, I see my enemy as my brother. Even if I do not like him, I must pray for his conversion to please God the Father. Wishing God to inflict harm on him is obviously out of the question. If I remain with God the Father, everything his is mine and that surely would include protection from all my enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment