"Be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Dealing with Sin

        I attended vigil Mass today as I got called to conduct a Communion service at a nearby prison tomorrow morning. The Gospel reading was read from John 8, the story of the woman caught in adultery, which I referred to in my last post. At the end, no one dared to condemn her. Jesus told her that he did not condemn her either and asked her not to sin anymore. How good it was to hear the Lord say something like that. 
        The homily given by Father M. triggered the following thoughts. When I was a little boy, I did not have any concept of God. Yet every time I did something to hurt my younger sisters, I knew I was wrong and tried hard to hide the fact each time. It just shows that we all have a God-given conscience. As I grew older, I came to understand what sin was, and felt the shame each time after I sinned. As I got to know God even better, sinning started to cause greater interior turmoil. Since God is all-knowing and merciful, the only way out is to face reality by asking for his forgiveness and help. Blessed indeed is the one who's in union with God, for he is so absorbed in the Lord that sin loses all its attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment